While workers were excavating the parking lot at the Holum Education Center, they found these bricks and cement blocks. After doing a little research, we believe they are from the original two-story brick veneer grade school building constructed on the site in the spring of 1906. According to “100 Years with DeForest,” published by the DeForest Area Historical Society, the school contained four classrooms for the grammar and primary grades. Windsor Township High School was nearby. Both were on land donated by Ole Holum, near the corner of today’s Washington Street and Columbia Avenue.