Nearly 30 locations statewide are taking part in Wisconsin’s annual College Goal Wisconsin. The events offer financial aid application assistance to students planning to attend college the fall of 2015.
There are two sites in the Madison area offering this event in February: DeForest Area High School on Saturday, February 21, 2-4 pm and Edgewood College on Wednesday, February 25, 6-8 pm.
Sponsored by the Wisconsin Association for Student Financial Aid Administrators, the event is designed to help families who are completing and submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Federal Government requires a FAFSA from all students seeking financial aid, including grants and loans, to attend and pay for college. Completing the FAFSA is the first step for students to overcome the financial burdens and pursue their goals of higher education.
During the event, students/families have the opportunity to complete the online application in a computer lab, with financial experts on hand to answer questions.
Students should attend with a parent or guardian, if possible. They should bring specific materials. If parents are unable to attend, students may attend alone and bring the following materials. (Independent students may bring their own income and asset information.)
- Correct Social Security number (can be found on Social Security card)
- Driver’s license (if any)
- 2014 federal tax return and W2s, or income estimates
- 2014 untaxed income records such as child support or veteran’s non-education benefits
- Information on savings, investments, business assets and farm assets (if applicable)
- Date of birth and month and year of parents’ marriage, divorce or separation
- Alien registration card or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
You do not have to wait until after you file your taxes! You can still attend even if your 2014 income information is incomplete or you forget something. You may file your FAFSA after the event once you do have the materials. You don’t want to miss out on the valuable instruction provided at College Goal Wisconsin.
Attend a College Goal WI event, submit or save your FAFSA, complete the survey and be entered into the scholarship drawing for one of 29 scholarships. One scholarship of up to $1,000 will be awarded to a student at each of the 29 Wisconsin sites.
For more information regarding this event, visit www.collegegoalwi.org.